Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing is just a grain of sand...

I was watching American Idol last night, this is the first season I have really tuned in to watch and I just started watching once they picked the finalists. I have always liked Randy Travis, so it was refreshing to see him giving the singers feedback on their choice of song. My favorites for the night were Anoop, Danny, Kris and Matt. I did not like Danny's jacket, however. He looked like a cross between ABBA and an Astronaut. Adam's version of Ring of Fire was downright disturbing and creepy. RIP Johnny Cash!

"Sometimes that mountain you've been climbing is just a grain of sand" are lyrics from a Carrie Underwood song. They totally spoke to me. Lately, I find the girls seem whinier than usual and everything always seems to be such a big deal. I find it frustrating and exhausting to deal with the constant whining, crying, screaming, tantrums and general drama that comes with having girls. These lyrics spoke to me because I think I often climb a mountain when it comes to dealing with the girls when it really is just a grain of sand. I think their over-reaction to things comes as a direct result of my over-reaction in certain situations. Here's to more grains of sand than mountains in the near future and the wisdom to know the difference between the two.

Today was parent appreciation at Preschool. The children performed a song they had learned, complete with actions. It was adorable, only Olivia, the most animated child, decided not to sing, but rather to stand there looking sheepish. Oh well. (grain of sand instead of a mountain)

After I left the preschool I headed straight to Barnes and Noble and bought the largest hot chocolate they had, non-fat of course. There were two older ladies in front of me in line, both were wearing green. Wasn't St. Paddy's Day yesterday? Oh, wait a minute, I was wearing green too! Anyhow, it took them 15 minutes to order, couldn't decide, had to be negative on the calorie scale, more foam than espresso, Splenda, must have a spoon for the foam, yadda yadda yadda. I was greatly amused by the whole thing, the poor Barista was not. This lady kept talking about how her drink had to be dry, and seriously obsessed over the drink FOREVER! It was exhausting, hilarious and completely over the top. Once they finally received their drinks and finished harassing the poor Barista for the fifth time, I was able to get my vat of hot chocolate and curl up in a comfy chair by the window with a stack of magazines. Aw, this is the life. Have I mentioned that this is one of my absolute favorite things to do? I don't do it nearly enough!

1 comment:

jlmack said...

I always loved the line 'See the world, in just one grain of sand' from 'Put the Message in the Box' by World Party.