Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Crunchy Granola Bars

  It has been almost a year since my last post. Shameful. I’ve been spending my time on Instagram lately and my username is tenniskat in case you want to follow.

Last night I made homemade granola bars for the first time. I’ve always wanted to try them but never have until now. This recipe is super simple and you'll likely have most of the ingredients already on hand. I found the recipe in The America’s Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. For the record, all of the ATK family cookbooks are fabulous. You won’t be disappointed and they would make a great addition to your cookbook collection.

iphone pics

Crunchy Granola Bars

iphone pics 001

(Don’t substitute quick-cooking or instant rolled oats as it will greatly affect the texture of the bars)

3/4 cup almonds, chopped coarse **

3 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats

1/4 cup canola oil

1/4 tsp salt

1/3 cup honey

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and adjust the rack to the middle. Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with a foil sling and spray it with vegetable oil spray.

2. Toast the almonds in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat until fragrant and golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the oats and oil to the skillet and toast until golden and fragrant, about 4-6. Transfer oats to the mixing bowl with the almonds.

3. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and honey and simmer gently over medium-low heat until the sugar is disolved, about five minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and cinnamon.

4 Quickly stir the hot honey mixture into the almond-oat mixture until fully combined. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and press firmly into the pan. Bake granola until golden, 20-25 minutes rotating the pan halfway.

5. Let the granola cool for 1o minutes then remove the foil sling from the baking pan. Cut it into 16 bars  and cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Place waxed paper between the layers in the storage container to prevent them from sticking to each other. The bars will last up to one week.

**I used roasted and lightly salted almonds that I purchased at Whole Foods so it saved me a step and I also cut back on the salt the recipe called for since they were already salted.

*** I added chocolate chips and golden raisins to the recipe for added texture and flavor. The chocolate chips melted but the bars still tasted very good.

iphone pics 002

7 comments:

Michele said...

When I looked at my blog roll in my sidebar and saw your blog at the top I was so happy! It's been a long time and I've missed your posts. It's been so much fun to keep in touch through instagram. The granola bars look very good!

Marie@Procrastinating in Pink said...

These look yummy!!! I'm adding them to my list! Thanks for sharing!

paige said...

yay!!!!!
welcome back my friend
xoxoo

The Southland Life said...

yay! you're back! ive been a bad blogger too, but im trying to be better! i love following you on ig!!! let mw know next time your back in madison! ;) hopefully i will be back there visiting my rents and we will hit up my fav madison markets! saw these on ig last night and you had my mouth watering!!! yum!!!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh these look so delicious!! We love granola bars and this looks like a wonderful recipe to try.

Donna said...

I haven't posted since January and thought that was bad too...lol! Your recipe sounds like a winner. Will try it, I think it'd be popular around here!!

Kerri said...

What a fun post! Welcome back! Super cute header of your girlies!