(*This post was actually written on Monday, but the week has been so incredibly busy I am just getting around to posting it today*)
Last night, we packed her lunch, her snack, laid out her clothes and headed to bed early in anticipation of Olivia’s big day. I set the table last night and set out everything I would need to make the pancakes when I got up. I tried to be as quiet as possible, however, I don’t think I could have been any louder if I tried. When I came downstairs, Fergus was super excited to see me, he had fallen asleep downstairs and slept there all night. He shook his ears and his collar and that alone could have woken the entire neighborhood. Then I went into the kitchen and dropped the cat food container on the floor and it went everywhere… Needless to say, not long after ,I heard two little feet running down the hall upstairs and then down the back stairs into the kitchen. Olivia appeared, fully dressed and ready for school at 6:10am. I had not planned on waking her until 6:30 but she was too excited to wait.
New dress, new shoes, new backpack and new lunch bag. New outlook on life…
She was so excited for the bus to arrive, she could barely contain her excitement. Poor Lauren’s heart was breaking at the thought of her sister leaving her behind.
Sisters and best friends. They have the most precious relationship.
Is the bus here yet?
Hugs from Daddy.
Hugs from Mommy. I tried to hold myself together until she was safely on the bus and around the corner, I didn’t want to cry in front of her.
Here it comes. The bus and the enormous lump in my throat. Barely holding it together at this point…
Gulp. There she goes! Up the stairs, onto the bus and into the next chapter of her life.
Here is where it got really hard. Do you see that look? “Mommy?!” She wasn’t so sure this was such a good idea.
Checking it out…
She is blessed with the most precious bus driver… we are so thankful for her.
Here comes the big grin…
“It’s okay, Mommy, I’m going to be just fine!”
and just like that, the doors closed and she was gone…
Both Lauren and I burst into tears. I managed to hold it in until she was out of sight. It was a very weird feeling… so proud of her, excited for her, sad for me and Lauren, scared, lonely and heartbroken. It’s hard watching someone else drive off with your baby who you’ve had for what has seemed like and eternity. It’s hard knowing she is growing up. One more step out the door, into the next chapter of her childhood.
I won’t lie, it seemed like the longest day ever. I kept glancing at the clock, waiting for the time when I could dash outside and meet her at the bus stop to give her the longest hug ever.
I couldn’t wait to hear all about her big day. She loved every minute of it. Even though she was completely exhausted this week adjusting to her new routine, she has fully embraced Kindergarten with loving arms.
Livie-loo, we are so incredibly proud of you!




17 comments:
Okay, I am TOTALLY crying because this will be me sending off Kate in a year. So glad she is loving Kinder. And, both girls haircuts are ADORABLE! Love the bobs!
I've got tears in my eyes {supporting you; of course:)} Livie looks just adorable on her big day! We {teachers} love to peek in on the Kindergarten classes on the first day ~ a room full of different emotions in the morning, but by afternoon they are ready for naps! Ha. So sweet.
Enjoy your weekend and this new adventure in life ~ it will be such fun.
Jo
Kat, It's been quite awhile since I have sent my two off on the bus! But reading your blog it brought back all those same memories! I am here to tell you that we never stop being parents!! As parents we guide, direct, teach, love, to prepare them to spread their wings and fly!! It's difficult to let go of their hand and watch them set forth onto a new chapter of their lives. It is obvious you have done your job well, look at your two beautiful children!!! Remember my friend to just "breathe!" and that it truly is "all good!" Sending you an abundance of hugs and kisses to you! The Lord above is looking down saying good job Kat, good job!! :)
Your post brought tears to my eyes... and then I thought, "I wonder how many pancakes Lauren ate after they went back in the house!" Haha
What a big day!!! She looks so excited and cute! You are such a good mama for making her pancakes - that is too sweet! Hope she has a wonderful school year!!!
How exciting! Love her dress and new white Keds! (Love another Mama who buys Keds!...:) ) Charlotte starts next week (Kindergarten) and I am feeling the same as you...hard to let go, to trust someone else w/ your baby....but thats life, right? Blessings to you all!
so sweet!
i love the pictures of them together. what precious precious sissies.
hope the rest of your week was wonderful.
hope to see you at the gym
:)
This sweet post brought tears to my eyes!!!
I am thrilled that you won "Those Silly Sisters." It looks like the perfect book for your family.
Please e-mail me: ericastidham00@hotmail.com with your address and how you would like the books signed. I will put them in the mail to you! I would love if you did a review on your blog : )
those sister photos are precious! my sister (21 months older than me) is my best friend. i still remember vividly the day kim went to college. the house was dreadfully quiet without "the 4 of us".
thanks for stopping by pixelimpress! pam
So sad, almost made me cry.
SO precious! I hope she is off to a great school year and I hope you are handling everything ok. :) I'm sure that is SO hard!!
Just came over from Kelly's Korner. What a beautiful family you have. Love the first day of school outfit especially the white keds. Every year my two sisters and I would get brand new keds for school! Brings back memories! :)
This was so sweet! My girl goes to kindergarten this year too and I am so nervous!! your girls are precious. Coming over from Kelly's Korner.
I just sent my son to school for the first time today. Your girls are gorgeous and that apprehensive look on the bus totally broke my heart! I found your blog from Kelly's Korner.
You caught each moment so well. I love your pictures.
I would love for you to link to my Back to School Traditions link up.
You captured the moments so well! It made me a bit teary-eyed reading it because I just went through our first day on Monday. I hope they both have a great K!
P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog, glad you liked the cookie idea.
Post a Comment