Sunday, March 4, 2012

Easy Homemade Pizza

Every now and then, I’ll make homemade pizza. I use my bread maker to make a whole wheat pizza dough that is just delicious.

IMG_4786  

Bread Maker recipe for Whole Wheat Pizza Dough: (Makes 1 pound of dough, 2 thin crusts)

(Ingredients are listed in the order you add them to the bread maker.)

Water (80 Degrees F/27 Degrees C)   1 Cup

2 Tbsp Oil

1 Tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour

1 1/2 cups Bread Flour

1 tsp Active Dry Yeast

Select Pizza Dough Course on your bread machine, (Mine takes 55 minutes to prepare the pizza dough)

Once the dough is ready, place it on a lightly floured surface and divide the dough in half. Press the dough onto two 12 inch pizza pans (I use pizza stones) Generously prick the dough with a fork.  Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges begin to turn light golden brown. Remove from oven, add your toppings and return to oven to bake for  12-15 minutes. (Check them around the ten minute mark to make sure they aren’t getting too brown. You may need to bake them longer or take them out)

This crust is a cinch to prepare since the break maker does all the work. It is absolutely delicious!

Recipe for Quick Pizza Sauce (courtesy of America’s Test Kitchen)

2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil

2 Garlic Cloves, minced

1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes

salt and pepper

Heat the oil and garlic in a medium saucepan over medium heat, about 1.5 minutes. Don’t let the garlic burn. Add the canned tomatoes and simmer the sauce until thickened, about 15 minutes.

Are you ready for a super delicious pizza recipe that will quickly become a family favorite?

IMG_4784

After you’ve prebaked the crusts, build your pizzas in the following order.

  • Add the sauce
  • cover with thinly sliced prosciutto (1/4 pound will be more than enough for two pizzas)
  • cooked, crumbled and drained Italian Sausage (1/2 –3/4 of a pound will be more than enough)
  • thinly sliced fresh mozzarella (this makes all the difference. It is so creamy and delicious and it melts beautifully.)
  • shaved parmesan (sprinkle over each pizza)
  • Bake for 10-15  minutes
  • Remove from oven and add a handful of peppery arugula to each pizza
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • a thin drizzle of honey over each pizza. (my honey has a pump so I can get it as thin as a piece of thread. A tiny bit goes a long way.)

IMG_4788

Slice and try not to eat the entire pizza all by yourself.

 IMG_4785

I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as my family does!

15 comments:

Kerri said...

I love arugala on pizza! Your recipe sounds delish.....now I just need a bread maker!

Donna said...

I make homemade pizza too,....but yours looks better. Way better!

Jo said...

One of our Friday night favorites! I'll have to try this topping combo next week :)

Jo

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Your pizza sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Privet and Holly said...

Kat, this looks
sooooo good!
I have a feeling
the touch of honey
at the end is what
makes it perfection.

Happy Wednesday,
xx Suzanne

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Oh my gracious, I want to eat this right now! Though I'm a lazy cook (most of the time), this looks good enough to actually go through the trouble of making it all. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Michele said...

I've never wanted a bread machine until I saw this post. I would buy one just to make whole wheat pizza dough. Looks delish!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Yum! Homemade pizza is the best.

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Homemade pizza is the best! This recipe sounds delish! :)

Holly said...

Looks delicious Kat! Check out my blog! I have awarded you the Liebster Award- congrats and enjoy :)

Holly said...

by the way, my blog address, to check out your award is http://holly-pinklady.blogspot.com

Ester Durães said...

hmm this looks super yummy, thanks for sharing :)

sweetbriardreams said...

This looks delicious. I'm going to try this out tomorrow...now where is my bread maker??!

Heather said...

Honey??? You had me at honey. No bread maker.. So off to TJs for some whole wheat pizza dough!!

Heather said...

Honey? You had me at honey. No bread maker here. So headed to TJs tomorrow for some of their whole wheat pizza dough. Xoxo