Sunday, March 1, 2009

Backseat Chef

You know how annoying it is when you are driving and there is a "backseat driver" in the car with you. Well, I have a confession, I am the kitchen version of the backseat driver, I am the backseat Chef! (First, let me say I am not an actual chef, my sister is) Whenever my dear husband, Craig, decides to make something in the kitchen I am overcome with a range of emotions. You would think I would be delighted that he is cooking and I don't have to and I also might add that he does a fabulous job cleaning up after he finishes... as for me, on the other hand, the kitchen looks as though a cyclone has ripped through it after I am done cooking.

When Craig decides to cook, about 98 percent of his concoctions involve beans and/or rice and lots of it! Seriously, one helping is probably five times the recommended daily dose of beans... whatever that is. I don't know where he finds these beans, I think he has a secret bean stash somewhere in the house. Next, he grabs the spices, adds a dash of this a pinch of that and some hot sauce. The finished product is usually enormous, could feed a party of 20, easily, and then he is delighted to pack up all the leftovers to be eaten for lunch. All of this is more than I can handle, I can never quite manage to keep my mouth shut offering tidbits of unsolicted advice until, ultimately, Craig finally chases me out of the kitchen with a wooden spoon.

One of these days I will appreciate the effort he takes to prepare a meal for his family and the break it gives me from having to decide what to fix, taking the time to fix it and then cleaning up the mess. Thank you Honey, I do love you and your Crazy Bean Concoctions too!

2 comments:

Summer said...

That is too funny!!

jlmack said...

I love beans!

Did you ever get to meet Chris Foster while you visiting me in Japan? He is a great cook, but he wouldn't let me in the kitchen when he was making his hummus or his spring rolls. I wasn't allowed to say a word; I was only allowed to eat.

To this day, he makes the best spring rolls I've ever eaten. Good hummus, too!