Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father’s Day {Part II}

Here are just a few of my favorite pictures of my Dad.     dad wedding 2 dad wedding 2dad wedding 3 DSC03012DSC03015n593895340_886432_7994n593895340_883263_4097

A blog post cannot do my Dad justice. He is simply the best.

My sisters and I have been very fortunate to have been blessed with such a wonderful, loving, kind, caring and compassionate Dad.

He has a hilarious sense of humor and a very sharp wit.

His patience is awe-inspiring.

He is extremely intelligent, to put it mildly and can master pretty much anything he puts his mind to.

He is a healer of broken hearts, a sympathetic ear, the voice of reason, and the CALMEST person I know.

He is an amazing cook.

He is thoughtful.

He gives heartwarming hugs (and a pat on the head if it’s a really bad day)

He is extremely generous.

He taught me how to drive and I thought I was going to lose my mind, (I had already lost my temper) twice!

His laugh is infectious.

He is the “gargling crow”

He used to read bedtime stories to my sister, JL and I when we were little and he did the best voices for the mice in Cinderella.

He is very well-respected by many, many people and has touched so many lives throughout his lifetime.

He comes from a WONDERFUL family.

He shares my love of sweet Boxer dogs and is responsible for introducing me to this wonderful breed.

I had the precious opportunity back in 2001 to drive from Nova Scotia down to Georgia with my dad to bring my new car down here. We had the BEST time! Listening to Neil Diamond, eating licorice, laughing, talking, reminiscing and generally enjoying each other’s company. We didn’t know then that I would be making the move a permanent one in just a few short years, but we definitely made the most of that road trip. Many, many laughs were had… we both had “blond moments” even though neither one of us is blond. Some of these include him slowing down for a toll booth while still in 5th gear… I kept thinking he’s going to downshift, he’s going to downshift, why isn’t he downshifting… which eventually led to a very exaggerated stalling of the car at the tollbooth window. The toll clerk said, “Um, Sir, is everything alright?” to which Dad replied…”Yep, we got it under control.” We laughed our heads off. Then I was baffled by the toilet paper holder in the hotel room and had wondered how in the world I was going to change the roll when the paper ran out… duh, I figured it out, it wasn’t rocket science and then we laughed about that too. We spent an entire day walking around Boston, one of our favorite places and touring the Harvard Campus. sigh…

Dad, not a day goes by that I don’t think of you. I love that I can talk to you about anything, anytime and you never judge me. You listen, you support me and you give me the un-sugarcoated advice when that is what I need to hear rather than what I want to hear.

I wish we lived closer, birthdays and holidays just aren’t the same without you.

I love you to the moon and back!

Happy Father’s Day, Dad! I cannot wait to see you in just a few short weeks! There will be lots of hugs and laughter!

No comments: