Monday, December 27, 2010

Blessed

Christmas is such a magical time of year, especially when you have little ones at home. The excitement leading up to the big day was intense, the girls could hardly contain themselves and their enthusiasm was contagious!

I was battling a massive head cold that had settled into my sinuses and left me feeling stuffed up, achy, tired, cranky and miserable. Not a good combination when you are trying to finish up last minute details and menu plan for a huge family brunch on the big day. We had originally planned to go to the family service at our church earlier in the day, but it didn’t happen, so we joined the family at my in-laws church for an early evening service instead. Church on Christmas Eve is especially difficult for me as this is the time when I miss my family back home in Nova Scotia the most. I usually cry through the whole service and think about what they are doing and how much I am missing them. It happens every year. I thought it would get easier as the years passed, but it only gets harder. I have been living down south for 10 years now.

So, there I was, feeling sad, homesick and sick and was totally wrapped up in myself during the first part of the service. I am not proud as I know this is not what Christmas is about. It wasn’t until I found myself standing arm in arm with my beautiful mother-in-law, tears streaming down both of our faces that it finally clicked. Both of us excused ourselves and went to the bathroom where we both burst out laughing because of the tears. I asked her if she was missing her parents as both have passed away in recent years. She replied yes, but that was not why she was crying. You see, her tears were tears of happiness because she was surrounded by her entire family and her heart was swelling with pride and joy.

In that moment, my sour attitude melted away, it was just what I needed to hear and I felt so proud and honored to be part of such a wonderful family. Even though I missed my family back home terribly, I am so richly blessed to be part of two such amazing families, both near and far.

I love and miss you Mom and Dad, Roberta, JL, Rick, Drea and Ronan! Maybe we’ll get home for Christmas sometime soon to celebrate with you again. Until then, please know how much I am loving you and missing you from afar.  xoxoxoxoxo

“I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now “ – Mercy Me

IMG_0070

9 comments:

Kerri said...

First off...what a cute picture of you and your girls. I never get to spend Christmas with my mom and sisters either. They live about 8hrs away...and get lots more snow than us...so traveling in December is never a good idea. It's always around the holidays when I miss them the most. It's the little things like making Christmas cookies together, shopping, visiting, that I miss the most. I never missed them as much as I do since having a child. They miss out on a lot with him. Love your quote. I too have a wonderful mother and father in law. We are blessed. Big hugs to you!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

Oh, Kat...I just burst into tears reading this. I think because my heart has been heavy for my husband who has not spent Christmas with his family since we moved down south 6 years ago. He's such an incredible sport but I know it's hard for him. We invited his family down here this year but they couldn't make it but hopefully will come for Easter instead. It's sad, really, that we find ourselves in all corners of the world and can't always be together. I love the saying, "home is where you make it"...it sounds like you definately are surrounded by sweet in-laws, which helps! p.s. I'm sorry you were sick! I was the only non-sick one in my house but that must have been miserable to whip up the energy and put on a happy face. Hope you're on the mend now. xo

Country Mouse said...

Awwww.... I welled up too reading your post. So blessed that you have such an AMAZING MIL to hug you though...

Roberta ♥ said...

I love you more than words can say...
♥ xoxoxo

Tessa said...

I can't imagine how much you must miss your family at Christmas! This was our first Christmas without my MIL who passed away in Nov. somewhat unexpectedly. It was her favorite time of year. I cried many a tears this Dec. The mere mention of angels singing in any Christmas music opened a flood gate every time. Count your blessings for such sweet in-laws. Hope you are feeling better too! Tessa

Michele said...

Thank you for this heartfelt post. I never knew that you were separated from your family. That must be terribly difficult, but you are blessed to be a part of two wonderful families, as you said. I'm blessed with my husband's wonderful family. They provide so much love and support. Thank you for sharing this about yourself.

Susan R said...

Kat, what a beautiful post.
Sorry to hear you're sick, wish I lived close enough to bring you some of my miracle cure chicken soup.
Cute photo of you and the girls.

Helena, The Swenglish Home said...

Dear Kat,

What a beautiful photo of you with your girls and what a beautiful blog entry. I felt your words very clearly, as I do not get to see my parents very often since I moved from Sweden to the UK. I do wish my boys and their grandparents could see more of each other, but for now, all we can do is to try to go to Sweden as often as we can...

You have a lovely blog with such a warm and personal tone!

Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog last week!

Warm regards,
Helena

Jo said...

Loving the photo of you and your daughters. I know the empty feeling that seems so much larger during the holidays. I've lost both my parents. Their absense is always so painful during the Christmas season.

Sweet thoughts ~
Jo