Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Nova Scotia {Part III}

No trip home is complete without a visit to Peggy’s Cove. It’s windier than you ever thought possible, the temperature drops 5-10 degrees and you’ll wish you were as surefooted as a mountain goat to scale the rocks. After being there for five minutes, you’ll soon realize you are most certainly NOT surefooted as a mountain goat and your hair will look like you styled it with a fork in the midst of a windstorm. Add two children, four and under to the mix and you’ll get quite an adventure. The rocks are treacherous in some spots and VERY dangerous if you get too close to the edge. One rogue wave can sweep you off your feet in an instant and into the ocean. Luckily, I know this having visited Peggy’s Cove many, many times over the years so I know what areas to avoid. Why bother you ask? Well, because the scenery is unlike anything you have ever seen, it is simply breathtaking.

DSC05319DSC05320

This would have been a perfect photo opportunity if it hadn’t been for the scaffolding on the lighthouse. I was complaining about it to Craig that it was going to ruin our pictures. The very next day in the paper, there was a huge picture of the lighthouse on the front page of the local paper that read, “Scaffolding ruins tourist photos”… it was rather amusing.

DSC05326   DSC05323DSC05328 DSC05322DSC05332DSC05342              DSC05395  

The lighthouse at Peggy’s Cove is also a post office. Isn’t that cool?!?!?!

DSC05400DSC05403 DSC05394

Check out the waves. Now you know why the rocks can be so treacherous and unpredictable.

DSC05407 

I love the simplicity and beauty in the photos of Peggy’s Cove.

DSC05410   DSC05413 

(I’m not sure those people will be too happy about their laundry being photographed and blogged about…)

Don’t you just love the three Adirondack Chairs in a row up on the hill?

DSC05415  DSC05418DSC05422 DSC05417DSC05416DSC05409DSC05419 DSC05420  

These fishermen are carved right into the stone. It’s absolutely amazing.

DSC05423DSC05424 DSC05425

We didn’t have lunch at Peggy’s Cove, (even though they do have the most delicious gingerbread cake) we decided to keep driving and stop somewhere on the way. The girls’ behavior was nothing short of ridiculous. Craig and I were delighted mortified, yet we still continued on…

 

Chester, Nova Scotia. (One of my favorite places, it’s positively gorgeous in the summertime.)

DSC05454 DSC05456 DSC05457DSC05458

This house was for sale. It was right on the water and I just adored the robin’s egg blue door and the stunning views of the bay.

 

By the time we reached Mahone Bay, the girls were exhausted from being in the car and we were ready to head home. Luckily I was able to grab a few shots before the meltdowns kicked in.

DSC05459DSC05465  DSC05462  DSC05466

The three churches. I wish I had gotten a clearer picture of them, but I guess this will have to do until next time…

3 comments:

Faith said...

Wow! So unbelievably gorgeous!!!

Country Mouse said...

You are an amazing photographer and what? Your girls having meltdowns? No. I'm not buyin' it. :)

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

My in-laws took a cruise to New England and Nova Scotia. They visited Peggy's Cove and I recognized some of your pictures as being sites that my in-laws took pictures of. It looks like such a picturesque town and I would love to visit some day!! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. : )

~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/