Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sew much fun!

Since we’ve been stuck at the house these past few days due to snow, I figured it would a good time to tackle a few sewing projects. First item on my list was to make one of “Darby’s Dish Mats”. Her tutorial is VERY well written and easy to follow. I changed the measurements a bit as the terrycloth I was working with had different dimensions than her pattern called for. Other than that, I followed her general directions and they turned out great. Such a fun project! Thanks Darby for such a cute idea and fun tutorial.

IMG_0343

I had enough fabric to make two. Didn’t they turn out cute?

IMG_0346

Next up on the list of sewing projects was this apron that I had started several months ago. My mother-in-law and I had figured out a pattern based on another simple apron that I had purchased with this project in mind. As always, things are always more difficult than they seem and take more time than you anticipated they would.  (The fabric for the main body of the apron was what gave us the most grief. The pattern was printed crooked on the fabric, so we kept cutting it trying to make it straight and finally gave up and just went with it. I was afraid we were going to end up with a belt instead of an apron if we kept trimming the way were were.)

IMG_0350IMG_0347 IMG_0348 IMG_0349IMG_0352

I think the ruffle gives it just the right amount of sass!

14 comments:

The Southland Life said...

These are GREAT! I wish I could sew - I've almost talked myself into taking lessons. How did you learn?

Lorri said...

Man!!!! I used to sew, but my machine is majorly outdated (as in it is a Singer from 1970).

momMYsliceoflife said...

LOVE the apron! I need to learn to sew, ASAP! :)

Michele said...

Sew cool, ha! Seriously, I'm impressed. The colors you chose are too cute. I saw her tutorial a while back and passed it along to a good friend of mine. She made several, but I've never taken the time to make one. I'm in search of a new sewing machine. I think I might get one this summer when I'll have a little more time on my hands. This is one of the first projects I'd like to take on. Also, your apron is super cute. I like the ruffle a lot :) I think your photographs are terrific. What type of camera and lens do you use?

Tessa said...

DARLING!!! Love all the snow day pics of your little cutie pies too!!

Kerri said...

I love the apron!! The fabric you picked is so CUTE! I bought a sewing machine 3 years ago...but still haven't figured out how to use it! I'm not sure I even remember how to thread it?! They should at least give one free class when you buy a new sewing machine! I will have to teach myself....cause I would love to try one of these!!

Kerri said...

I love the apron!! The fabric you picked is so CUTE! I bought a sewing machine 3 years ago...but still haven't figured out how to use it! I'm not sure I even remember how to thread it?! They should at least give one free class when you buy a new sewing machine! I will have to teach myself....cause I would love to try one of these!!

Faith said...

Cute, cute! I agree, a ruffle makes everything better!

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

this is adorable :)

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

Well, this is just awesome!!! I don't know how I missed Darby's tutorial, but i am so glad you posted a link to it. Your dishmats are adorable and so is your apron! I also love your fun blog! I'll have to stop in more often! Have a great day!

Kellie H said...

Fun dishmats! I so wish I could sew!!! I wonder if we will be out another day of school...we are over the ice snow. Thankfully for games, DVDs, and the internet of we would be dying with out being able to go anywhere.

Beth Dunn said...

Adorable!
xoxo
SC

Jennifer of chambersstreet.blogspot.com said...

Kat, I love that you made Darby's dishmats..they sold out so fast. So fun to catch up on your posts, I am back into the blogging world. I love that you Southerners got snow and have to use rain boots out in the snow, so fun! Thanks for your sweet words and prayers, so appreciated. Happy 2011! :) Jennifer

Susan R said...

Sew cute!!!!
I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm dyin' to make something. If I could keep all my kiddos healthy and out of the house for one day, I might be able to go to the fabric store and figure it out.
Thank you for the recipe ideas. Eric's teacher is a crazy woman. She shot down all his ideas and said that they weren't "traditional" enough. How can crepes not be "traditional" French food?