Sunday, March 27, 2011

Healthy, quick and tasty

I had been wanting to try Ellie Krieger’s Honey Roasted Sweet Potato recipe for quite some time. It looked simple, delicious and healthy so I gave them a whirl this week and they were exactly that. (Recipe can be found in Ellie Krieger’s “The Food You Crave”)

IMG_1302

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
  • Peel and chop  your sweet potatoes (I used two large ones but the recipe calls for three) into 1-inch  pieces.  
  • Mix 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil with 2 Tablespoons of Honey and 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
  • Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes. Toss to coat
  • Bake, stirring occasionally, until fork tender. (About one hour)
  • Keep an eye on them, mine were ready before one hour, at around 50 minutes. I just checked their progress each time I stirred them.

IMG_1303

Warning, these sweet potatoes are seriously delicious. Watch out. You many want to eat ALL OF THEM!

IMG_1305

I seasoned one pound of tilapia with salt and pepper.  Place a steamer basket inside a large pot and add water, enough so that it doesn’t come through the basket. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and add the fish and some lemon slices. Cover and let steam for about 4-6 minutes until the fish flakes easily. Keep an eye on it. You don’t want to over cook it.

IMG_1307

Chop broccoli or if you are lazy like me, buy the already chopped kind in the steamer bag in the produce section. Add to a microwave safe dish, add 2 TBSP of water. Cover and cook on high for 4 minutes. Check for doneness and cook longer if necessary.

IMG_1308

This dinner was sooooooooooooo good, not to mention healthy. It earned rave reviews from the whole family. It was a snap to prepare and took little time to cook.

4 comments:

Donna said...

This meal looks delicious and super healthy! Your lucky your family will eat it...mine turns up their noses at fish. It's my kind of meal nonetheless. That Ellie knows how to do it right!

Jo said...

Oh yum! I'm adding sweet potatoes to my market list right now and we are having them for dinner tonight! Thanks for great idea and yummy {not to mention healthy} recipes.

Jo

paige said...

beautiful & yummy & healthy!!
don't you feel great when you serve a winner for a meal!
those days are all the time for me, but i love it when they do occur.
i need to be a much better meal planner.

the sweet potatoes sound delish!!will give them a try this week :)

Kerri said...

Your dinner looks delicious! I love sweet potatoes!