Monday, September 5, 2011

Cooking Class and Birthday Swag

I attended my first cooking class ever this weekend at Whole Foods. It was called “Preserving Summer” and it was about canning. I had never canned before this class and was super excited to learn the process. There were only four students in the class so we paired up in teams of two. It was great because we got to take home a selection of everything we made! Hearing that little “tink, tink, tink” sound as the jars sealed after being removed from the boiling water was so exciting.
Here was the Menu:
Strawberry Jam
Peach Jam
Mango Chutney
Red Pepper Jelly
Bread and Butter Pickles
  IMG_4054 
I brought home 1 jar of Mango Chutney, 2 jars of Peach Jam, 2 jars of Bread and Butter Pickles, 2 jars of Red Pepper Jelly, and 2 jars of Strawberry Jam! I can’t wait to enjoy them! I think so homemade scones or biscuits are definitely in order!
Our instructor, Chef Antonio was superb. I can’t wait to take another class! They even have cooking classes for kids! I asked Livie if it was something she might be interested in doing and she was so excited!!! Like mother like daughter!
Go here for canning recipes and tips.
IMG_4053
Of course I couldn’t leave Whole Foods without buying some herbs to replenish my kitchen herb garden. Cooking with fresh herbs is so rewarding. I love walking over to my large pot of herbs and snipping a few for each recipe as needed. So fresh and they smell heavenly!
  IMG_4059
Lastly, September is my birthday month. I love all the fun little perks that come in the mail each year at this time. A gift card for free Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish, 15% off my total purchase at Anthropologie and a $15.00 dollar gift card to the Loft. I am one happy girl!



Photobucket"

9 comments:

Jo said...

What a fun cooking class ~ you made some yummy goodies!

Happy Birthday! Have a great month of celebrating ... enjoy.

Jo

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you can stretch your birthday out as long as Janice!!

Susan R said...

That's awesome that you did some canning. I'll be making peach jam soon as well. I did a little canning this summer, but mostly shared my garden contents with others this year instead of canning it.
I recognize that little blue pouch (love me some Anthro too). Show us what you buy.

paige said...

well yay & yum!!
so glad you went & that you loved it. smk was here & hanging out saturday unti dinner time...which was wonderful...then she headed out yesterday :(
anyway, yummola on the goodies
& yay for herbs. do yours stay inside all year round? mind outside are ginormous but are on their last leg.

& happy birthday month!!
woo hoo!!
hope to see you in the morning at the gym :)
(workign today )

Lorri said...

Band Band shrimp is one of my favorites! Enjoy!

Kerri said...

Awesome new header Kat!
I have never canned before...other than jam. How fun that you took a class!

Lynn said...

Canning is great! Once you start eating homemade jams you'll never want to buy a jar again-enjoy:@)

nest of posies said...

how fun!

i've always wanted to go to a cookinig class but never had. and what a great thing for you all to do. love that idea.

thanks for linking up!
kellie

The Funky Junkie said...

Oooh I didn't know Whole Foods had cooking classes! We have one right down the road...do they cost money?