One of the items on our Summer List was a trip to Prince Edward Island. Since Nova Scotia is only three hours away, this was an easy item to check off the list. Luckily, the weather cooperated the day we went to see Anne of Green Gables in Cavendish. The girls had a delightful time exploring the grounds.
We’ve recently started reading the book to the girls and they are loving it! It is a delightful literary favorite of millions, both young and old, worldwide.
Olivia and Lauren loved pretending to milk this pretend cow… I sure it would have been an entirely different yet hilarious experience had the cow been real.
Of course we couldn’t resist taking a few photos with the bonnet and Anne’s straw hat with braids.
Mom and Dad were good sports and put on the hats too! Meanwhile, Craig fled the scene and refused to wear the hat with the braids…
My hair was already in bun so that is why the hat looks so wonky on my head…
Here are some pictures from inside the house.
The antiques inside were absolutely gorgeous.
Although the beds were huge and puffy, they were also rather lumpy and uncomfortable looking. I can imagine rolling off the side of it and falling out of bed in the middle of the night!
Do you see all the primitive dough bowls stacked in the corner?
Lauren loved this girl. She was in character and was sitting in the kitchen, knitting and chatting away. Lauren climbed up in the chair and talked to her for a while and asked about 100 questions. When we said goodbye and walked upstairs, Lauren said, “Mommy, I really like that girl, she has a really sweet sound to her.” The girls found it really interesting to listen to the different accents in Atlantic Canada as they were much different than that southern accents their accustomed to hearing where we live.
Check out the stove!
Many of the bedrooms had clothes laid out on the bed.
How gorgeous is that bed?
I loved this sweet little sewing room!
Little alcoves upstairs near the dormers that were used for storage.
This bed looks as though it was made with the person still in it…
Entering the Haunted Wood Trail.
So long, Anne of Green Gables. Perhaps the next time we are on the island, we can catch the play. It was due to start the following week after we visited. . I have seen the play twice but it has been over 20 years since the last time I saw it. I just know the girls would love it!
We also missed seeing Will and Kate by just a few days as they visited Prince Edward Island as part of their Canadian tour.




6 comments:
I'm so jealous. This is exactly where I want to take the family.
Your photos are lovely and Lauren reaction to the cow milking is priceless.
What a wonderful place.
They will never forget such a fun trip!!! Awesome photos! I would love to visit there!
What a fun place to take your girls to! Once again, you got some great photos!
I can't imagine a month long vacation. How amazing! I'm loving all your pictures, especially this post! Such a fun visit. Love the girls in their wigs on the carriage! They won't be short on stories of their summer adventures when they return to school this year! xo, Tessa
Amazing! My cousin Laine would have loved this. She re-reads the books every year. I love all of the photos, especially the one with you in the hat with braids. I'm so glad you are sharing photos of all the fun things you did.
What a fun trip ~ you know how to take a vacation! I loved reading and watching Anne {wanted to be her as well} when I was little. Love the photos of you all in those wigs and your little ones taking it all in for memory sake.
Jo
Post a Comment