Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Day with Poppy

Since I haven’t posted in what seems like an eternity and these pictures are a special reminder of a wonderful day spent with their Poppy, I figured this was the best post for today. Also, as we speak. the area in the pictures in getting hit by a huge snowstorm at the moment, so it will also serve as a reminder of the forgotten days of summer.
IMG_3358
All buckled up and ready to go. Apparently, Olivia is anticipating a wild ride. Judging by the picture, Lauren is wondering if maybe she too should hold on...
We headed down to the waterfront to take the ferry across to Halifax.
IMG_3369
It was so incredibly foggy, you could hardly see your hand at the end of your arm. Seriously. It was that thick. Just as the ferry was leaving the dock, it sounded its horn which was extremely loud, then it made a right angle and  traveled parallel to the shore instead of taking its usual diagonal trip across the harbor. Immediately following came a deafening horn sound from another ship, obviously one that was much larger. We couldn’t see it because the fog was so thick, but soon enough, an enormous container ship emerged from the fog and then quickly disappeared. It was really amazing so see how something so large was literally invisible one minute, appeared briefly, and then disappeared the next. Thank goodness for fog horns.
IMG_3383
Theodore Tugboat amidst the fog.
IMG_3385
   I bet you’ve never seen a tugboat wearing a red baseball cap before. Not unless you are a Nova Scotia native.
IMG_3389
I love how the ships seem to be floating in the middle of nowhere.
IMG_3399
I love this picture of my niece, Drea, Lauren and Olivia. That is the fog behind them, you can’t see a thing beyond the bench they are on. Normally you would see the harbor and the Dartmouth waterfront behind them if it were a clear day.
IMG_3396  
Walking along the Halifax waterfront on the boardwalk is one of my favorite things to do, no matter what time of the year. Being away from the water is one of things I miss most about not living in Nova Scotia anymore.
IMG_3402 IMG_3403  IMG_3405 IMG_3409IMG_3411 IMG_3412 IMG_3413 IMG_3414
There is a concrete wave that all the kids love to climb up and slide down. What usually begins with laughter ultimately ends in tears because someone always gets hurt.
IMG_3415 IMG_3417 IMG_3418
   We only get to see Drea once every two years when we go home for a visit so this day was extra special for the girls to be able to spend it with her.
IMG_3424IMG_3429 IMG_3430
Even on a cloudy, foggy day, it’s still beautiful.  It’s sad how much you take something for granted until you no longer get to look out your window and see it every day.
IMG_3431
These girls sure love their Poppy!
IMG_3432 IMG_3434 IMG_3436 IMG_3439 IMG_3440 IMG_3441 IMG_3442IMG_3444 IMG_3445
Checking out the construction site.
IMG_3449
  Kaboom!
IMG_3460
So peaceful. IMG_3463 IMG_3464 IMG_3465IMG_3468IMG_3469IMG_3472 IMG_3473  IMG_3476
After a long stroll on the waterfront, we grabbed lunch and then headed further down the boardwalk for some Cows’ ice cream before catching the ferry back home. I think I had just as much fun as the girls did and I know my Dad did too!

5 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your photos are wonderful. I enjoyed paging through them. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Pinecone said...

What a beautiful place!!!! Great photos.
xo
Ashlyn

Sara Dyer MacDonald said...

Kathy, what a small world - Little Drea was in my Sophie's class last year! I had no idea she was your niece. I spent Tuesday afternoons volunteering in their class - she is such a smart and sweet girl!

jjs said...

I cannot imagine living anywhere else. Whenever we travel I miss the "smell of home". Nothing like living by the ocean.

MK said...

I call my grandfather Poppy, too! The girls look like they had a lot of fun.